blazin’ saddles

20 Oct

This past weekend Dan and I decided to head to Amarillo, just to check out some new scenery. We left Saturday afternoon and arrived around time for supper. Dan had heard a few of his coworkers might be heading up too, so we waited a while to go get supper, but they ended up eating before they got on the road. So we checked out our Urban Spoon app on our ipods, as well as the internet and decided to try out a place called Hoffbrau Steaks. It was a very good choice. Entrees came with soup or salad and a choice of side…I got the teriyaki sirloin and it was one of the most tender steaks I’ve ever eaten. Soooo good. Dan got a ribeye and enjoyed it also.

After supper we went back to the hotel so Dan could change, and then he wait for his coworkers to get in town so they could go to a bar that sounded a lot like the Blind Horse in South Carolina. I was not feeling like hanging out in a loud, crowded and possibly smokey bar, so I relaxed in the hotel while Dan went out.

Sunday morning we checked out our options of things to do around Amarillo, and decided to go south a bit to  check out Palo Duro Canyon. Our hotel had had a binder with attractions, and it listed a stables right outside Palo Duro State Park. We drove there to find out their prices, as they hadn’t answered when we tried calling. It was really informal, but we didn’t have to wait too long for the group before us to return and for ours to head out. I was a bit iffy about getting on a horse without ever doing it before, but after I was up, they gave me a 10 second rundown of what to do, and I discovered that most of the time the horse knew where to go anyway. My horse was called Yah-te-hay, a Native American word used for “hello” and “goodbye”. Dan’s horse was called Rambo.

We headed out to the trail, and it was very interesting- the land all around was super flat, and suddenly there’s this large hole filled with rocks and trees. Right away there was a pretty decent decline to go down, but the horses didn’t have any trouble. It had to be one of the most perfect days for it, it was around 80 degrees, very sunny, and a nice breeze. There were three guides that went down with us, and the one closest was dressed up like a real cowboy- hat, spurs, gun and all. He was very friendly and informative though. He told us that his grandfather had bought the land we were going through at 92 cents an acre way back in the 50’s because at the time it wasn’t good for much. They used to have some cabins, but all that is left now is a few ruins of them. They’re working on some new construction in another part, but those aren’t finished yet. There were a lot of trees, and a good amount had leaves that were turning yellow, which made for a pretty view. On the ground were some small cactus. We rode for around an hour then reached the main building again. Dan and I both agreed that it was definitely a good choice of activity. I’d love to try riding a horse again, though next time it would be more interesting to go over flat land so I can maybe try other paces.






Leave a comment

Posted by on October 20, 2009 in Uncategorized


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: